Monday, July 20, 2009

Mah Brotha (Poem)

Current Mood: Meh.

Wrote a poem today. Just put the pen to the paper and this flowed out. Tell me how it is. Comments WELL APPRECIATED.


So here I am trying to write a coherent sentence,
I've been creepin' around these streets like a menace,
Friend's everywhere: 'dova, The Mound, Bartlett, Midtown
Finding places to stay, keeping life at bay,
Trying to move on with confidence.

These past few years, well they've been a blast.
But all these good years were snatched up too fast.
We had good times, and those that were shitty
And for those, I need no real pity.

For the days were good!
We're all in one piece.
Well except for a few,
I watch them so slowly as their own lives release,

They're growing up in front of my eyes,
I wondered if I, too, or is it just lies?
Will they go away and really grow up?
I'm betting against such fortunate luck.

Many will go and come back more fruitful,
But I'll tell you this, they'll still be the same people.
I hope for good things, and give them glad tidings.
They shut me away and go into hiding.

“What is it you guys? What could I have done?”
“I don't know man, we've just kinda shun,
Everyone, Everything, and Everybody,
that's not like us; we're really quite snobby.

“With what room?” I say.
You guys just play games and say things like “gay.”
Lets be chill and civilized.
Build vocabulary, don't talk like all guys.
“Haha, like you? I'll pass; lets go crew.”

And they shuffle off into obscurity.
None of them will hear this that's security.
No fostering of talents in that group, for sure.
Just competition, competition, competition. Grade Whore.

It's not about the A's, but your talent,
You'd be better off working instead of lament.

“My SAT is crap, My ACT is shit.”
Please, my brotha'. The sky's the limit.
You've reached 23 x 100, that is.
Shouldn't that be enough to fight with these kids?

“I would think so, yeah, but let's not forget,
I'm Chinese/Indian/Jew, not a minority resident.
“So what does that mean? Should I be where I am?”
“Yeah sure, you're smart, have fun represent!”

'What the fuck? Are you for real?'
Did you bluntly just spout that ignorant shpeil?
Thanks a lot MAH BROTHA, for the inspiration,
Now I'll quote you in a book about my hometown nation.

How you treated me, taught me, and more,
I even found out that my heart can be sore,
For a place I call home, right here in the south, nonetheless.
A place I was dragged, thought it was the best.

A place for business, education, the likes,
“The people down here are really quite nice...”
So I played along, I followed these rules,
But this time, for sure, I won't be the fool.

I'm off in a month to a new place, indeed.
Some 1,000 kilometers, or more, I should know.
But it's late tonight, as soon as it goes,
I'll check on that distance for reference, I suppose.

An impromptu poem, I like this feeling,
I surely hope that this keeps repeating,
And I should share this sort of prowess,
I think it's a type of gentle caress,
Of my mind to one's own,
A hug if you will.
In this world anyway, they're really my thrill.

A good time with a lady and cooking,
Is better, any day, than a video-looking.
Or games for that matter, they're really quite dull.
Let's go for a walk, the the night won't be null.

Work hard in the day, relax at night.
That'll get us through this horrendous fight.
For years are ahead, of strenuous battle.
Hopefully this time we'll shake the rattle.
Make beats, form a song of glorious praise,
Let my actions be always ablaze,

With the passionate fire that I can call mine,
I'll be someone to lead these divine,
Talent, skill, cunning, things we all possess,
It's all happening, now let's make some progress.

We're all sociable, with NY to play,
It's a ball, we'll pass it around,
Bounce it over here, just along the ground.
Broadway'll be fun, Amsterdam a blast,
The apple will be bitten, and it won't be the last.

-Peace(maker)

Listening to: My Fishtank.

0 comments: